Sunday 23 October 2011

Shakespeare Sunday's: Julius Caesar- It's All Greek to Me

It's all Greek to me is something that you say when you do not understand something that is written or said. As in, " I've tried reading the manual, but it's all Greek to me."

This phrase comes from Shakespeare's play, Julius Caesar
.

 Play: Julius Caesar -Act 1. Scene 2
  • Cassius: Did Cicero say anything?
    Casca: Ay, he spoke Greek.
    Cassius: To what effect?
    Casca: Nay, an I tell you that I'll ne'er look you i' the face again: but those that understood him smiled at one another, and shook their heads; but, for mine own part, it was Greek to me.
    • Scene ii

For More Shakespeare and his Contribution to the English Language



All blogs are written by Sabrina Rongstad-Bravo More Tales and Adventures in Sabrina's London Diaries

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails